Sunday 6 May 2012

Foam board model for interior

Over the next week, I thought it would be a really good idea to produce a model of an interior on a larger scale using foam board, this would portray the interior in a more expressive and understanding way. I have just decided I am going to increase the size by another half of the original, therefore it will be big but not too big for you to not understand what is going on in the interior.

First of all I will cut out two rectangles with the width of 18cm and the length of 48cm, I think this is the appropriate size to portray my interior, I then need a middle piece which looks like the one on my wooden model, I have measured this and increased this by a half as well. If i produce a model which looks like one level of my model but just on a larger scale it will portray what my wooden model would look like from the inside.

Like this but in foam board.
 I have now made this on a larger scale and am now ready to work out the proportions of my interior. Firstly I will need stairs, my teacher encouraged me to measure the college stairs and work out an average for each stair by dividing this by 36. The stairs whill therefore each be 0.2mm width, 0.35mm depth and 1.45mm length. Unlike the stairs I made before for my wooden model, the foam board I willl use this time will have a greater thickness and will be more secure.
     In terms of glue, firstly I tryed using a glue called polycement, although this said it was a strong adhesive it very much did not work for my stairs, it took too long to dry therefore I did not have enough time. I have tested the glue gun on some foam board and have decided although it is messy if I am very careful, the glue gun is the best option, in terms of how strong it is, it is very strong if glueing foam board.

My spiral staircase has been finished!! Very happy with the outcome although it was very tricky to make! I am now measuring the floor to the ceiling in my workshop to get a sense of the size of my model and how high each wall would be. I had begun to create some concepts for my interior until my teacher came over to stop me and made me realise I had the scale completely wrong! Very happy he told me!! After this little hiccup I am now onto making at the right scale.

As you can see in this picture the design is actually now seperated from the original piece, this is because I found a few chips in the side of the foam board, very annoyying and that will teach me to not bash my work around, I have cut this off my design and I now have to restart again!!!, all I can say is at least I had the practice!



 This is my newly produced foam board model, after restarting, because I already knew what procedures I needed to go through to get the model right, it was easier to produce. I looked at my google sketch up images I have been working on cut out foam board to produce an interior. The glue I used was glue gun as I had tested this on my other foam board model and it is very strong. Overall I will now be able to produce my perspex model easier now I have produced a template for this design. I will go off this interior as this design works in an office building.

No comments:

Post a Comment