Monday 28 May 2012

ongoing perspex model

I haven't wrote for quite a while due to the fact I have had A LOT of making to do on my perspex model, I have began to look from my google sketch up model and think about different centre pieces on my design, like in a room I want the room to link up rather than there just being a few desks without anything bringing it all together as an interior. I have looked at some google offices on google images and I have seen how energetic and exciting they are, I want my designs to be just as exciting. On my google sketch up model I have designed a structure which will integrate the office desks together in one piece, here is an image of this




I have decided to work with one floor firstly rather than working with two at the same time, so I have now begun to make this design out of clear perspex. So here comes the sanding! My teacher has advised me to use firstly rough sand paper, then slightly less rough and then using the buffing sand paper and the buffing machine. This way my model will end up looking more refined. I have used the band saw before but never to cut out perspex. After using the band saw, I used the disc sander to make my model easier to sand using sand paper. Once using the sand paper, I used the buffing machine, this is another machine which i have never used before, I have been advised to grip on to the perspex tightly so the machine doesn't take it out my hand! I will do these techniques to every piece of perspex I use to ensure I get a good finish.
     Overall using perspex is definitely hard work, although the outcome is worth it! Using sand paper, and different machines has allowed me to understand how to work with perspex and how to make perspex look attractive. I think I have chosen the right material to make my interior out of, at the start of the project I wanted to design an interesting interior for a google office, and perspex produces reflections in the perspex base which makes my model interesting as a whole


My model will also consist of 5 triangle office desks, 3 on the first floor and 2 on the second floor. I have just tested a perspex glue to see how clear the glue looks, on my first attempt it didn't turn out great! I had only used a little squirt and this made the perspex dirty, also I had not removed all the dirt and dust from the surface which made it dirty inside and I was unable to remove it after it had been glued. My teacher advised me to use a large amount of glue and spread it all over the surface which is being glued, I have tried this and it has worked great! Other than there being a few tiny specks of dust, it has dried strong and clear which is what I wanted! Although the gluing could be improved I think it has been a job well done.

Image of one of my triangle desks

After using the thin glue I have decided for each large surface area of perspex I will use a large amount of glue so it does not stain the perspex. From this experience with glue I have learnt how to use a new type of glue, I have understood a job well done is one that is done patiently. I have also learnt how to glue perspex, and this will be very enlightening for the future on my interior design course.




No comments:

Post a Comment