Friday 11 May 2012

Working with perspex

By looking at the foam board model I have made, I am now able to move onto working with perspex! I have heard different things about perspex, some people think it is hard to work and some people think it is easy to work with but I guess I shall find out myself very soon! Everyone said it turns out very appealing though!

As i already have my dimensions for the model i shall get started...  the dimensions worked very well on the foam board model, although when speaking with my teacher, instead of having three parts to the structure of the model, I am set on having two, I will use the bending machine to bend the perspex at the end of the top layer which will loose the need to have lots of perpex which needs glueing, my teachers agreed this would make sure the model was more secure, as the glue I am going to use is strong, but if the model was moved suddenly the glue would come apart.

Instead of cutting out a 48cm length on the top layer I have cut out a 55cm piece which I will then bend over at the end, to go with this I have also cut out a 48cm x 18cm piece of perspex for the first layer. Whilst cutting out this perspex I had to be straight and in proportion otherwise my model would not work.





The thing with perspex is the amount of sanding which needs to be done until it is perfect at the edges, it is all easy until that point! (just my luck) The order of sanding will go as follows:

Disc sander

Rough sand paper

Buffing sand paper

Buffing machine

Therefore my model will be done to the highest standard and will look the best! This will have to be done to every piece of perspex I use.

This afternoon I have decided to glue my perspex together, but also I have decided to make the model more secure by adding a new part of perspex inbetween the floors.
 I have just made a sample out of some scrap perspex, just to get the shape to make the one I will use.


It is now time to glue my model together! Firstly, I need to put down some masking tape to make sure no glue comes out and onto the perspex where I dont want it. I have tryed a glue which is best for glueing faces of perspex instead of edges, this hasn't worked and the design came apart, ( luckily nothing spilled!) My teacher suggested I use a stronger glue, although if I was to move the model it would come apart. This has worked fantastically! I am being very careful not to move it!

No comments:

Post a Comment